I love eating oatmeal in the morning at work – I just hate heating it up, adding my toppings to it, and getting it out of the nasty office microwave before it explodes. Which means I never make it at work. Luckily I found a solution: make it into breakfast cookies!
These Banana Bomb Breakfast cookies are my perfect solution to a “grab and go” morning meal. They are loaded with nutrients: rolled oats, sliced almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, and of course my favorite – dried bananas. They are all natural and so simple to make – bake them on a Sunday, and you have your breakfast for the entire week. The best part? You can avoid the nasty office microwave.
PunkWife’s Banana Bomb Breakfast Cookies
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups packed brown sugar
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup nut and berry mix (mine comes from the local grocery store and contains sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and raisins)
1 cup (2 packages) dried banana chips
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Beat the butter in a mixer until creamy and light. Add sugar, cup by cup, until mixed evenly. One at a time, add the eggs.
- Add vanilla and continue to blend until it is mixed into the batter. Add the flour mixture, cup by cup, until combined.
- Now it’s time to add the nut/berry mix. Blend well.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and scoop out 16 cookies with the mixture (8 per baking sheet.) Top the cookies with the banana chips. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow a half hour to cool.
That’s it! These babies are good for one week. Enjoy your work-week breakfast 🙂