Detox Morning Juice Recipe
This morning’s juice is a favorite of mine for two reasons: 1, it is super cleansing, and 2, it made me realize I actually like beets. Just their deep color alone is enough to entice you, but here are a few other benefits of beets which make them excellent for detox:
- they contain iron, calcium, sulfur, potassium, and chlorine
- they are a source of beta carotene and vitamin C
- they flush the kidneys and bladder
- rich in carotenoids which help prevent certain cancers
- they contain manganese, which combines with iron to feed the liver and red corpuscles. Manganese also contributes to normal brain functions, reproductive functions, bone structure, and normal glucose metabolism.
One thing I didn’t realize about beets: it’s super potent. You should never drink it by itself, and actually, you only need about a half of a beet in a juice drink. According to The Juiceman, author of my favorite juice book “The Juiceman’s Power of Juicing,” pure beet juice “may temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, cause you to break out in hives, increase your heart rate, and give you alternating chills and fever.” Ahem. Just keep it to the half a beet per juice, and you’ll be good. Bottoms up!
PunkWife’s Detox Morning Juice Recipe
- 2 carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 pear
- 1/2 beet, plus greens
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
Juice all ingredients. Stir, and enjoy!